Saturday, May 30, 2009

Zurich and Luzern

I'm finally going to write about my weekend excursion to 2 cities in Switzerland. My photos below are backwards in order of my visits, so bear with me.
Zurich:
This is the largest city in Switzerland. It was a little under 3 hours to get there, so the car ride was very pleasant...and thanks to Jane's cd mixes, quite fun (I'm still not forgiving her for "Hey There Delilah"). Honestly, I was expecting a more scenic ride. It was nice but not nearly as nice as France. Its probably because the northern part of Switzerland isn't that mountainous.

Anyway...we arrived and checked into our hotel. The hotel was cheap and weird as hell. I would try to explain it to you, but its beyond words. I guess you can say it was like a dorm room with a touch of "little kids bedroom" and a dash of airplane commodities, all rolled into one.

The city was pretty nice. It wasn't GORGEOUS but it was a drab either. There really wasn't too much to it other than the prototypical Switzerland river converging into a glacier lake and cute little side streets stemming off from it. We were able to find several cute nooks and crannies. And even the main street with all the high-end fashion stores.

Oh! We were serenaded by this very interesting church ritual where we were eating our dinner. I've included a video at the end of this post. I was mesmerized by it. It was so cool! But we had no idea what religion it was. It was extra-strange seeing as how these were probably the ONLY people that weren't white that we saw all day. It is Switzerland, after all.

All in all, it was nice, but nothing to write home about. Even though I am.

Luzern:
I liked this city more than Zurich. I thought it was a very cute city with old flair that made it stand out. This city is much closer to the Alps than Zurich is. So the scenery is much nicer. In addition, the old wooden bridges that go across the river were gorgeous. But what I liked most were the old city fortification. There are 4 towers which are all connected by a wall that you can walk on. Being the history major that I am, this was the best part of the trip for me.

Something that we really noticed with these 2 cities were how quite they were. Imagine walking along a country road...that's how loud these cities were. Perhaps it is because there aren't many places for cars in the old streets. Or perhaps it was the quite reserve of the people. Whichever the case, it was creepy. It was like no one was having fun.

Would I recommend visiting these cities? Probably not. I might go back sometime before I leave...but the longer time goes by, the less I'm wanting to fulfill my wish.
This is the view from atop the walls of Luzern. This was probably the best part of the trip. Lots of history on these walls and in the towers...and gorgeous views.
There are many statues in these Switzerland cities. This one happened to be moving. I didn't give him any money because the cities took it all.
This is the famous part of Luzern. This old wooden bridge spans the river. Inside tells the story of the city. Too bad its in German. Oh...and it burnt down about 15 years ago and they had to rebuild it!
Look how artistic I am.
Sweeeeett!
It was sooo hot...I'm glad there was free water. Not so glad that I had to drink it out of a spout coming from the lower part of a man.
Cool streets.
Zurich from the top of a church.
My first beer that I ordered and drank. It was a Lowenbrau...in honor of my dad.

1 comment:

  1. First of all...your grammatical errors make me cringe, as they always have!
    Second of all...you said that beer was in honor of my birthday!

    ReplyDelete