Monday, May 18, 2009

Annecy

Making out in public is very common here. This couple decided to show us that 20 feet away from us. Thank you for the show.

Pretty, non?

There's basically a small river that cuts through the center of the old town. This is that river.

That river again.

The wedding party...see story below.

Eating baguettes, cheese, roasted chicken, croissants, and fruits has become a staple for us. Oh...and drinking wine in public. C'est la vie!

I love fresh markets!!!

Lake Annecy

So, this weekend we decided to go see Annecy. Annecy is a small city that's south of Geneva (in France). It only took about 30 min to get there. Here's something interesting about that. We drove on a French highway for about 15 min and we paid about 6 euros for the toll!!! That's ridiculous.

I can't imagine a better day. We started by picking out our lunch at the fresh market. Honestly, it seemed endless! Sure, there were a fair share of clothing/antique stands, but the majority are food stands. They each sell their specialty. 1 for cheeses, 1 for breads, etc. Its hard to tell which one you should go to because they mostly look the same. Oh...and the fish stands are the best. I'm sure you can imagine how good fish that's sitting in the open on a hot day smells! The vegetarian in our group loved that smell.

We took our meal (see above) to the park by Lake Annecy and enjoyed the scenery (see the making-out couple above). Basically, the lake is surrounded by mountains on one side and the city on the other. And the lake is crystal clear. Because the Michelin Guide told us we had to, we took a paddle boat around the lake. It was great because we could see how active the French are with their rowing, swimming (coooold water), and nearly topless sunbathing.

We then strolled around the old town for the rest of the day. It's amazing to see how old the city is. It really struck me while we were walking around that I'm in France. This was such a French-looking city. And the oldness of it all really took my breath away. I really wish that I could describe just how gorgeous everything was!

Oh! While we were strolling, we came across this wedding (see above). What a train-wreck!!! The clothes were sooo gaudy, it was hard to look away. And to make matters even more funny, there were much more people than us with horrified looks on their faces standing literally 5 feet way from the bride and groom.

On Sunday, we went to some more markets in Divonne (20 min away). We got some more food and wine, and had ourselves another picnic. I just love those kids of days. Or do I love eating an laying out in the sun? I think the latter. This is just a dream over here on days like that. I love this.

1 comment:

  1. Great words, great photography! I am so excited that you are experiencing so much. Keep writing, I feel like I am (almost) there :) PS: Gotta love the extreme PDA. I saw a lot of that... it never got normal to see someone's pants down in public! Eat some bread and drink some wine for me!

    ReplyDelete