Monday, May 11, 2009

Driving in France

This is my Renault Scenic. My family laughed at me when I told them that this would be considered small in the States. Well, maybe it would be a medium size. Not the van that they think it is! I got really lucky because this is a very nice car...better than the other au pairs. And it's an automatic! Too bad there is a Celine Dion (in French) cd stuck in my it :(

As for the driving...
After getting quite lost today, I feel like I've gotten the hang of driving finally. It is so fun here! There are so many weird rules that they have and fun advantages.
  • Round-a-bouts are everywhere! Personally, I love them. You hardly ever have to stop, and its easy to turn around if you got lost (like I do).
  • They hardly have any stop signs or traffic lights in the towns and villages. This leads to a very unusual rule. When coming up to a "T" intersection, the driver on your right has the right-of-way. That means if you are going straight and you see a person coming from your right, you have to stop and let the person that is turning go first. Does that make sense? Its very bizarre.
  • Driving is fun. Instead of long stretches of doing nothing, it seems like you are always turning and slowing down along the winding roads. And on top of that, there are many times when you are driving down fairly narrow roads with large stone walls on either side of you. Its beautiful AND dangerous! Doesn't that sound like fun?!
  • Everything is so much closer here. They think 15 min is a long drive where we think that is short.

3 comments:

  1. You be careful, young man!

    I like your car...looks very Francais!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are keeping us updated... I Just looked at your pictures and am ridiculously jealous now. :) glad you are having fun, and i am really going to try and visit in the next year! I mean it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I especially like the picture of you and Mr. Pickwick!!

    ReplyDelete