Thursday, May 7, 2009

This could be the start of something new...

After months of anticipation, I'm finally here. So where do I begin?

My first impressions came from the scenery that I get to see everyday. This might be pointless to describe until I actually take some pictures, but I can't imagine a more gorgeous location. Looking behind our house, there is a large mountain range (Jura) that is within walking distance. Then you can look in front of the house, and you can see the snow-capped Alps. Mountains all around!!! Gorgeous!

After flying all night without any sleep due to a crying child, Juliette picked me up at the airport and brought me back home so that Sally (their current au pair) can show me a typical day. Macsen, the 6 year old, immediately took to me. Aiden, on the other hand, hid in Sally's arms complaining that he doesn't want a boy au pair. That lasted for about 15 min until I took them outside to play. 15 min into a gun fight, as I lay dead, Aiden came to my rescue by cuddling up beside me and giving me a kiss on the cheek. The rest of the day, they held my hand, kissed and hugged me, and told me that they love me. They are absolutely sweet kids! Oh, and Sally has been absolutely wonderful showing me everything. I really have big shoes to fill...she's a great caregiver.

With all that being said, I still feel very overwhelmed. I'm sure once I get used to everything, I'll relax a little bit. But with everything being so new to me, and the boys wearing me out, I'm exhausted. I knew this going in -but I didn't fully understand- this is going to hard work.

3 comments:

  1. You made it! The boys sound very, very cute! And they seem adaptable, which is very good for you, the new "boy au pair." Of course you're overwhelmed...you have landed in a new life! I'm positive that in a little while, you will adapt to everything and everybody, and they to you. Then things will be more on an even keel, instead of crazy, the way it must seem now :-)

    Love, Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely sounds like you've got your hands full! But it also sounds like you've got a couple great kids there. Not to mention a sweet view! Hope you continue to settle in well, and don't get hit too hard by jet lag! Also, did you just quote a High School Musical song?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me want to cry!! These kids sound absolutely wonderful!!! Anyone would feel overwhelmed... I felt extremely overwhelmed when I got here and I wasn't thrown a whole bunch of information (in French!) about two children the moment I landed! :) This sounds like an amazing experience. i can't wait to hear more about it!

    ReplyDelete