Friday, April 16, 2010

Favorite Cities: #4

#4
Budapest, Hungary

A trend is starting.  Eastern/Central Europe did very well for itself in this list.  Budapest, maybe more so than the others, exemplifies the traits that I loved so much...blue-collar attitude, cheapness, you can actually do things (tours, trips, shows, etc), a fascination with Americans, a tumultuous (recent) past, great food and beer, helpful locals, and on and on.  For some reason, I really felt at home in Budapest.  I can't really say this about other cities.  I felt comfortable.  Maybe it was the familiar cuisine (my grandmother is mostly Hungarian), or maybe it was because I felt like I was driving through Whiting, IN to get from the airport to the city...I don't know.  Whatever it was, I loved the way I felt in Budapest.

History: 1
Really don't care much about their history.
Grandeur: 3
Nice, not great.
Cuisine: 5
Scored the highest on my Best Cuisine list. http://noahschlueter.blogspot.com/2010/04/best-cuisine-1.html
Weather: 1
Really not nice.
"It" Factor: 4
This city has always been high on my list to visit.
Museums: 4
Had the best museum I've been to...but not much else. http://noahschlueter.blogspot.com/2010/03/top-museums-1.html
Specialness: 5
Getting a rub-down by a 300 lbs Hungarian guy while I was naked will always hold a special spot in my heart.
Return Factor: 5
Didn't see everything I wanted.  And I would love another massage from my Hungarian masseuse.
Cliche Factor: 4
I don't hear much about this city from other people.
Public Transport: 1
Didn't use it...REALLY didn't want to.
Ease: 3
Tough to navigate.
Tourism Industry: 4
Size: 3
Bigger than Prague.  Smaller than Madrid and Paris.
Bang for the Buck: 5
CHEAP.  GREAT ballet for only 4 Euros!!!

Total: 48
http://noahschlueter.blogspot.com/2009/12/budapest.html

No comments:

Post a Comment