Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Travel, Weather, and Depression

I've decided to take a break from talking about Spain, even though I only have maybe 1 more post regarding the trip.

Upcoming trips: In almost exactly a month from now, I'll be going to Budapest for a 3-day weekend.  This city has been very high on my list.  Then, in 2 months, I'll be spending another 3-day weekend in Stockholm.  Yes, I head north for winters.  If I'm going to be cold, I want to be cold.  And then, I'll have about 2 weeks off for Christmas and New Years, so I'm planning another trip somewhere.  As of now, I have several ideas.  But I'm thinking I might do a roadtrip exploring the North of France (Champagne, Normandy, Verdun, Loire Chateau's, etc.). 
Here's a list of the places I'd most like to visit before I leave (kind of in order):
  • Polland (Auschwitz)
  • Czech Republic (Prague)
  • Austria (Vienna, Graz, Strasbourg)
  • Romania (particularly, Transylvania)
  • Belgium (Brugge)
  • Holland (Amsterdam)
  • Denmark (Copenhagen)
  • UK (Scotland, Ireland, London)
  • Italy (Florence, Venice, Rome)
  • Russia (anywhere...I HIGHLY doubt this will happen)

Weather: Sucks.  Since I've been back from Spain, I've seen maybe 20 minutes of sun, total.  Its been 10 days.  And everyday it's rained.  I asked if this is normal.  It is.  And its a shame because there is now snow on the mountains, and it's GORGEOUS!  Too bad the clouds cover it.

American: I'm too much of one.  Aside from being able to travel, here are the top things I look forward to each week:
  • Bears games (though this is PLUMMETING because they are playing horribly)
  • New TV show episodes (Curb Your Enthusiasm, How I Met Your Mother, Modern Family, The Office, 30 Rock, Community)
  • Hearing from family and friends
Pays de Gex: This is the region I'm living in.  Basically, imagine a super large canoe.  The sides are mountains.  Now draw an imaginary line down the middle.  The right side is Switzerland and Geneva.  The left side is the Pays de Gex.  It sucks.  I'm really now one to complain about areas, but I'm doing it now.  Here are the reasons I hate it:
  • Its the most expensive area in France (that may not be entirely true...but it might be)
  • I feel trapped by the mountains
  • Its not French nor Swiss
  • There's nothing to do
  • The weather sucks
Wow, this turned into a depressing blog.  Sorry about that.  On a happier note, I bought myself a pillow that's comfortable and an espresso machine.  Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment