Saturday, November 7, 2009

Spain: Madrid's Welcome Party

Molly has a good friend who once lived in Madrid.  He made some friends who Molly got a hold of.  This guy invited us over for dinner Friday night to get a true taste of Madrid.  This was basically all we knew going into it...
We arrived at 9:45, because that's when we were told to arrive.  We show up and the hosts are still in gym shorts and t-shirts.  They told us we were early.  So they stuck us in their living room while they continued to prepare the food (awkward!!!).  It wasn't until 10:15 when the next guests arrived.  And I really think that time was shortened because of our early arrival.
They did make some authentic Spanish food for us because we were visiting.  Very nice of them.  All the people (early 30's) were very nice.  The problem was that most of them didn't speak very good English.  But its funny how little language matters when everyone gets drunk.  My ease of communication kept improving throughout the night.
I'm not saying the following to be a bigot, its just interesting...here's a list of guests:
2 Americans
1 Swede
1 Phillipino
1 Gay Couple
2 Straight couples (one guy being the ex of the Swede)
a few "regular" Spaniards

So, this was an interesting night.  Everyone was VERY nice and VERY welcoming.  But this had to have been one of my top 10 most awkward situations.  And yet, I'm glad it happened.

Then to cap it off, during the night after I'd been sleeping for awhile, I threw up.  Gross throw up.  And I got a lot of it on Molly's clothes.  I thought it was because I drank too much.  But it was because I was sick.  I swear.

No comments:

Post a Comment