Sunday, June 7, 2009

My State of Being

Fair warning, this isn't going to be all that interesting of a post. I really haven't been doing many interesting things as of late, but I just wanted to give an update on my state of being.

This last week was a particularly hard week. Wednesday through Saturday, Aiden was sick. He was throwing up on Wednesday and ran a fluctuating temperature on the other days. It was good news/bad news for me. The good news was that I got paid more to stay home with Aiden. The bad news was that I had to stay home with Aiden.

Typically, I would think a kid who is throwing up and running a fever would want to relax all day and not do much. Nope. Aiden acted like his normal-self for 80% of the time. So it wasn't like I could plop him in front of the TV or read books to him. I had to play with him. I know...how horrible! But really, he doesn't play well with others. And he just wears me out. And on top of that (and I don't know whether to contribute this to the sickness or not), but he was a HUGE pain in the ass. We ended up having several "disagreements", with one leading to me screaming at him like I've never screamed at anyone in my life. Was it bad that it felt good?

Aside from Aiden, I've been kind of morose lately. I'm really getting to the point where I'm missing home. I REALLY miss my family. I think its espeically hard during the summer because I'm used to spending every second with them. And I never thought I'd say this, but I miss working with my dad. I'm also missing my friends, and Butler, and America, and living indepentantly. I know that being in the situation I'm in, its normal for me to feel this way. So I'm not panicing or overreacting. There's just a part of me that wishes I was working at Butler right now. I guess the grass is always greener.

This has been a little depressing, hasn't it? I don't mean to paint a picture that I'm having a bad experience or anything. I'm not regretting this. I mean, no one goes through an entire year without having some difficulties.

Oh...on a lighter note, I bought a train ticket to Paris for early July. I'm going to meet Ben there (former Butler foreign exchange student who lives in Paris). And then I guess he's taking me to his summer home. I'm SOOO excited about this. And I've been tentatively planning a vacation in August to visit my friend Rene in Austria and then checking out Budapest, Prague, Munich, and maybe some more. Pairing those with the vacation I'm spending with my host family close to London...I have a pretty exciting summer ahead of me.

2 comments:

  1. Noah, every mom/dad gets a little depressed when they have to stay at home with a sick kid. It's a drag! But it sounds like you have a lot of adventures ahead of you! Everyone here misses you too, but we are thrilled (and enjoying vicariously) that you are getting to have this experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noah you need to "Skype" with your family! The video chats help you feel like you're right there with them....and it's free!!! www.skype.com

    ReplyDelete