Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Ups and Downs of Skiing Trips

Life is full of ups and downs.  So is skiing.  So was this weekend.

Down: 4 hour car ride (into the Alps...Chatel) with Aiden in the back seat complaining that he has to throw up the whole way and his cousin (Alpair, 2) crying because he couldn't hold his mother's hand.  Traffic was also horrible.

Up: I managed to figure out how to put on snow chains without instructions or any previous knowledge of anything snow chain-related.  They work amazingly.

Down: I had to listen to Aiden's crying and coughing all night and Alpair's crying.  Due to the tight quarters, sleeping was hardly an option.

Up: I had a private lesson my first day.  My instructor (Fenny) was terrific!  It made a HUGE difference to learn from a teacher who spoke the same language as me.

Down: I learned how to go down a slope the proper way.

Up: Skiing became much more enjoyable.

Down: Macsen got sick on Sunday.

Up: I got to take his private lesson.

Down: I learned how to go down a slope even better.

Up: Eating while skiing.  Great food and drinks in the Alps.

Down: Alpair got sick Monday morning, so we couldn't go skiing (my "family" went home Sunday night, so it was only me, Alpair, and his mom).

Up: Alpair threw up in the car on the way home.


Ok...in all seriousness, skiing went really, really well this weekend.  The Alps are simply gorgeous and the skiing was actually fun.  I wish I had a video of my attempt at skiing my first time compared to where I was on Sunday.  I improved to not being able to go down green slopes (1st level) to being able to do reds (3rd level...out of 4) aaaannnd....
When I first started skiing, I noticed crazy lunatics going "off-slope".  I couldn't believe how crazy they were!  Well, on Sunday, Juliette's friend joined us.  Because she lives out there, she showed us all the great "off-slope" areas.  Me!  Off-slope!  I'm serious, I was doing jumps (not on purpose)!  I turned into one of those crazy lunatics!  I don't want to say that I'm really good or anything, but I'm much better than I was because of some great instructors.
  • I uploaded a video of Aiden skiing.  Look to the right.
  • I'm hoping to get some pictures of me skiing.  Juliette's sister is supposed to send me some pics.  I was too worried I would fall on my camera while skiing.

1 comment:

  1. One of my dreams is to stay in a Swiss Chalet. Did you take any pictures of the inside?

    ReplyDelete