Saturday, October 10, 2009

Vive le Sex

Today, because of the rain, I figured it would be a good day to visit some museums I've been itching to see.  So off to Nyon (a small city 30 min north of Geneva on Lake Geneva) I went.  There, they are supposed to have a nice Roman Museum.  That's what I wanted to see.

And it was nice.  However, nothing was in English.  You see, typically when you go to a museum in Europe, they will have multiple languages available.  And despite recent renovations (it just re-opened last week), this one did not.  It was pretty neat to see Roman pottery and typical household items, though.  Photography wasn't allowed inside, so I can't show you what I saw.  Just imagine Roman things.

However, with admission to this museum, I got to go in the city's castle for free.  This was much cooler.  Instead of a typical castle, this was more of a museum.  The 2 best parts were the jail and the gallery of photographs of local people from the late 1800s.  The photos were disturbing to say the least.  The UGLIEST women I have ever seen.  This is what they reminded me of.


And in the jail, I could go inside old cells where there were writings on the walls.  Here are my 2 favorite quotes:
  1. Vive le Sex (Long live sex)
  2. La femme/ Elle a les beaux pieds (The woman/ She has beautiful feet)

This is the castle.  Both museums were very recently renovated and GORGEOUS.

Something of note...the colors of fall here aren't very good.  First of all, there are a lot of pine trees here, so there is still a lot of green (faded green).  And secondly, the trees that are changing colors are brown.  Nothing like the yellows and reds we see in good ol' Indiana.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I'vw bwwn mwning to ask you about the fall foliage. I would really miss that.
    And that picture of Cathy looks pretty modern for being frim the late 1800's!

    P.S. Has the money been pouring in yet for your trip?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really should learn to spell check before I post comments. That should say, "Hmmm, I've been meaning to ask you..." and also "for being from the late 1800's."
    I keep telling you my typing stinks. My fingers have a mind of their own!

    ReplyDelete