Wednesday, August 5, 2009

My Mom's (Ex) Cancer

As previously written of, I arrived home Saturday in anticipation of my mom's surgery to remove her cancerous tumor. That happened.

On the 4th, my mom had a Whipple Procedure at Northwestern. In all, there were 12 relatives who made the trip up to Chicago to support my mom. There were so many of us, the lady in the waiting room gave us a private room...probably so that we wouldn't disturb the others. We are a loud family, to say the least. We waited from 6AM-7PM! Quite the interesting wait.

The doctor said that everything went as well as hoped. He removed everything that he wanted (tumor, part of stomach, duodenum, part of pancreas, and bile duct) and hooked everything back up. She experienced a lot of pain while in recovery. So much so, they moved her to Intensive Care last night. But finally, they have the pain managed, and she seems to be handling this very well. Soon, we will make our way back up to a recovery room where we'll have a much more comfortable stay.


Aside from my mom, the trip back home has been fantastic. I know this sounds strange, but I haven't laughed this much in consecutive days for a long time. Anytime you get me with my brothers and my dad, we tend to be pretty loud and hilarious...but only to ourselves. I don't think anyone else understands half the things we talk about.

I've gotten to see a lot of family, and I've really enjoyed experiencing America again. So many things I've missed! The first day back, we all went to Costco and I was in heaven. Honestly, Costco is one of my favorite places (and I can say this now) in the world. I'm pathetic. Oh! And driving! I know I originally said that I loved driving in France, but that got old really quickly. Driving in America is the way to go...straight roads, no round-a-bouts, readable signs, smart drivers, and no freaking speed bumps on roads!

Even though I've gotten my share of deep dish pizza, I have been missing my wine, cheese, bread, and pastries. The French really got that right.

No comments:

Post a Comment